Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Talks

I really enjoyed the activity on the book talks. It was fun and interactive. I also really liked the idea of giving students their choice of book to read and do a book talk over. It would be fun for a literature group to do a book talk over a chapter book their fellow classmates may be interested in reading. I can see how students would love this activity. As a classroom teacher, you could dedicate more time to editing and adding sound effects, etc. so the students could make it their own. I think the book talks also demonstrate comprehension. Students have to know the pieces of the book in order to do a book talk, so that could be a great evaluation tool for the teacher to use. Overall, the book talks are a great idea and I really enjoyed the class activity today!

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this activity as well and will definitely use it in my future classroom. By videotaping the talk and doing it in a group, I felt like we were able to be a lot more creative with the book talk than if we were to simply present a book talk to the class or write a book report. At the last student teaching placement I was at in the Language Arts class the students presented book talks to the class, but the talks were the students reading a summary of the book they read to the class. This way of presenting a book talk is so much better! It's also more fun for the teacher to grade as well than simply reading a book report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this activity! Lots of possibilities as this could be done a variety of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved doing the book talk too! I actually got to do something very similar to this when I too Young Adult Literature here at Iowa State. My class partnered with an 8th grade class in Osage and we did literature circles with them. We ranked the books we wanted to read and then got placed into groups based on our preference. The 8th graders did the same thing. Then the students in Osage that were reading the same book as us emailed with us to discuss what they were reading. At the end of the literature circle we got to record a book talk to show the rest of the class. Then we sent our book talks to Osage and they sent their book talks to Iowa State.
    I must say, it was a great way to learn how to teach literature circles and a way to make them even more interactive and enhanced. Partnering with a university's teacher education program was a great idea by the teacher in Osage! I hope to have that opportunity one day as well.

    ReplyDelete