Monday, May 7, 2012

First Day

Today was the first day of the 556 graduate course. Just in a small amount of class time, I feel like I learned a lot of new information about technology. I really enjoyed class today and I am excited to learn more about integrating technology into my instruction. I really enjoyed using my favorite literature book Where the Wild Things Are and creating lesson plan ideas based on one book. The Comic Life application provides many opportunities for both the teacher and the student to be creative.

I have accepted a job, and I have been told they are in the process of being a 1 to 1 technology school in the next couple of years. I would like to gain as much technology knowledge going into this school year so I can engage and motivate the students I will have in special education. From my previous experiences working with children in special education, I know that some of the students who have certain goal areas are not very motivated to learn in the specific area. I think integrating technology into this instruction for them will be very beneficial and motivating. i also feel that technology will provide students to have success with their learning. I feel that I have a small advantage as a newer teacher because throughout my time at ISU I did use technology and was more aware of what is out there. This was also my first time using an iPad, so I hope we get to do more with those and learn about new apps that would be beneficial towards reading and language arts.

3 comments:

  1. Well now you get an iPad to take home with you for two days to play with! =)
    That is so awesome you already have a job and it will be in a 1 to 1 technology school. I agree with you completely that technology is a big motivator when it comes to teaching students. In my first student teaching placement, the students were very unmotivated to write. After a new program called Storybird was introduced, which is an online program for creating stories, the students couldn't get enough of it! It was very exciting to be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How exciting to be working at a school that has a 1 to 1 program! You will be ready to teach with technology and have a lot of resources when you are done with this class.

    I agree with you that your students will probably be a lot more motivated to meet their goals when they are using technology. The student I have worked with who are significantly behind their peers do sometimes feel that it isn't even worth trying hard at school anymore. However, technology does bring out excitement in pretty much anyone so I think it will be a great tool for you and your school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on having a job! It sounds like your school is in the process of becoming 1:1 - it is amazing how many schools have gone in that direction the last couple of years! Hopefully, we'll continue to learn more throughout the week!

    ReplyDelete