Thursday, May 17, 2012

iPod Uses in the Classroom

I was told in my future special education classroom that I will have an iPod to use with my students. It got me thinking about all of the different things I can do with the iPod.

Most important, I think having students record their reading and listen back is a very powerful tool. Students can reflect on their own reading, monitor their reading, and make goals for themselves. After doing the podcasting yesterday, I have learned how easy it is to record your voice on an iPod and then create a podcast using GarageBand. I think this is a very cool assignment and it displays a lot of different skills (reading, speaking, finding pictures online, creating a presentation). iPods can also be used as a tool for me to record students reading for running records or DIBELS assessments so I can go back and listen to it on the iPod. Another way I can use the iPod would be to record stories on the iPod or download them to the iPod so students can listen to them and follow along with the book. I also really liked the idea we talked about in class about the teacher recording feedback to students after they have completed an assignment or finished a rough draft so they can get feedback verbally instead of just written on paper.

I am still brainstorming many different ways I can use the iPod in my future room. I am so excited to get some technology to use with my students and now I have practice using the iPod from this class, so I will be able to apply my knowledge and skills into my own class!

3 comments:

  1. Having iPods in the classroom is great! In my first student teaching placement I was in a first grade classroom that used iPods for "Listen to Reading" time. Each iPod had different leveled books downloaded from the basal series used by the school. As students moved up reading levels they got to change which iPod they got to use. When students were way above their grade level expectation then my cooperating teacher had an iPod with some more books, poems and songs uploaded for the students to use. They all loved it!

    I think your idea for using iPods to record running records and assessments is great! It would be awesome to record the student, assess them and then call them back for a reading conference where they got to listen to themselves read, reflect and together you could decide on a goal for the next time period.

    IPODS RULE! haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I've never had the opportunity to be in a classroom that used iPods, even for listening to books. I think they are a great, portable tool that should definitely be utilized in classrooms.

    Good luck in your first classroom!!! You will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that we touched on something that you can apply - even with one ipod you can probably do a lot! There are some really neat ideas that can be done using this simple tool - very powerful as a listening and recording device. Good luck as you try new things out in your classroom! Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete